The Competent Parent:
a Collaborator in Learning
with Dannielle Gibson
Early Childhood Leader at Department for Education and Child Development, South Australia
Online Live Session: October 16, 2019 (7:00 – 8:30 p.m. EDT)
Dannielle Gibson is passionate about creating learning environments and experiences that offer all children the opportunity to shine. She believes that in working with the competent child, educators also work from a competent view of the parent in order to truly collaborate.
Creating environments that invite diversity of perspectives and seeing parents as co-learners with their children allows us to view people in a way that says they are enough for who they are right now. Recognizing parents’ strengths and contributions is essential for true collaboration. Documentation is an essential part of this process too.
In this café we will consider how can we move forward with these ideas in early learning contexts and settings.
This Café supports the Ontario Ministry of Education’s:
The Kindergarten Program 2016:
- Pedagogical Approach of Reflective practice and collaborative inquiry
CECE Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice July 2017:
- Code of Ethics B: Responsibilities to Families
- Standard I: Caring and Responsive Relationships
About Dannielle Gibson:
Dannielle Gibson is an Early Childhood Leader at the Department for Education and Child Development in South Australia.
Dannielle has also previously led an early childhood team in a stand-alone kindergarten (preschool) and is also Co-President of Early Childhood Organization INC SA. She was honoured to represent EChO at the Partners table of the recent Rinaldi Residency – Re-imagining Childhood in Adelaide, where she had the opportunity to work closely with Carla Rinaldi from Reggio Emilia.
What should you expect?
- A 1.5 hour live online conversation with Dannielle Gibson that includes both large and small-group discussions
- Opportunity for reflections and Café feedback
- Certificate of completion
- Ongoing access to this café’s supplementary materials
What do I need in order to participate?
This program includes a live, participatory online conversation among all the participants. Therefore, in order to participate, you will need the access to:
- an internet device: a computer (laptop or desktop) or tablet (iPad or Android tablet)
- your device must include a camera and microphone
- a high-speed internet connection (at least 5 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload speeds)
- We highly recommend that you complete the free ELC Cafe called “The Early Learning Café Meeting Space” Completing this café will ensure that you have the required hardware and application (RingCentral Meetings) for your computer, that they are working properly, and you are able to access our online meeting space.